Thursday, August 7, 2014

Pday...FINALLY!

Hola mi familia!

That subject line sounds kind of bad, but in all seriousness, this has probably been the longest week of my life.  There are so many things that have changed and that need to be adjusted to.  There are also so many things that I want to tell you, so I will try my best to sum it all up.  

First off, the flight to Argentina was so looonnnggg. They have these little flight tracker things on the seats on the plane, and so we were able to wake up every five minutes and see that we had gone another ten miles...ugh. And the food was even better than usual, because some workers at the airport were on strike, so....yeah.  For the first time in my life, I did not eat the brownie, mostly because i was afraid for my life.

I ended up being the only sister on the flight, there was supposed to be another one, but for some reason her mission was postponed to the beginning of September.  The elders were really nice, and it was just nice to get here and get a female companion.

My companion is Hermana Boehmer, from Calgary, Alberta, Canada.  We hit it right off, and I love her to death!  She says things in a really funny way, like bags are "baigs" and tags are "taigs", and same thing with flags, rags, and every word with that sound in it.  We have a good time.  The first night we were here, apparently I fell asleep while praying for 20 minutes.  She kept trying to wake me up, and finally, she shook me a little and said, "wake up Hermana Farish!"  Well, I woke up, and apparently looked at her with this look of "sheer terror".  and then i calmly proceeded to put my glasses away and climb into bed.  She told me all this LAST NIGHT!  I was like....that's awkward, because I don´t remember any of this.

Hermana Boehmer has been a member since birth, and she is very athletic, having played basketball for Lethbridge College for the past year.  I try to keep up with her, and when we play basketball with the elders for actividad fisica, I just have to roll my eyes and make a fool out of myself.  Happiness is when the elders are worse than you are:)

There are a grand total of 5 North American sister missionaries here, and Hermana Boehmer and I are the only ones in our room.  We have 4 other roommates, two from Colombia and 2 from Brazil. They are so fun, but they will be leaving in two weeks since they don´t need to learn the language.  We have been DROWNED in Spanish, so if you happen to see some random ys or pors or cons, that is why.

I love it here, and I know that this is where I am supposed to be.  To be honest, after I left you guys in St. George, I didn´t cry once.  I was just excited to get here and start learning.

The people here are SSSOOOO amazing.  I love the workers and how patient they are with our AWFUL Spanish.  The food is way good, we have beef something at least once a day.  I ate a legit chicken wing,,,it was like 6 inches long.  I just tried not to think about it;)  and guess what else I tried?  BLOOD SAUSAGE!  It was the sickest thing....so slimy and salty and ....bleh...I gag just thinking about it.  I wasn't going to try it, but then I thought of you and decided that I needed to for dad, and that if I died, I am in the ccm so I would go to the celestial kingdom!  

I love my clothes, but it was definitely an adjustment to get used to the humidity.  You like walk outside for 5 minutes and you are drowning in sweat.  Here we have physical activity every day, and we are like in a prison, with high fences.  I did find the treats in my suitcase, and I have been sharing the bit-o-honeys, but the kisses....those are special:)

Like I said, the humidity is a killer, and for the first couple of days it was so hot!  But now, there has been a cold wind, and so it has cooled down a little.  We go outside everyday, so we just deal with it.

We are literally across a parking lot from the temple.  It is so beautiful, and we are going to be able to go every pday, so we get to go today!  I am so excited!

The elders...hmm...I just have to keep telling myself that they are still dumb 18 year-olds.  We have been struggling with some of them in our district.  They don´t really shut up ever, and they talk about the greatest things, like did you know that Jesus rode in a chariot to church?  And other amazing, spiritual things like that.  Btw, mom, teach your boys how to make a bed.  We had a "training" the other day on how to make our beds, and I was surprised when half of the elders didn't know what a mattress cover was.  We just rolled our eyes and moved on.

DAD!!!!!  Our Argentine gerente (manager) said "who is we paleface?" the other day!  I was so excited!  I actually about started to bawl, to be perfectly honest.  The same thing happened when the ccm president´s wife hugged me (she can hug all the hermanas).  Instead of shaking our hands, she hugs us, which I love:)  since there are only about 60 missionaries here, it is so personal and everyone knew each other's names by Sunday.  We have already started to teach Virginia (who just happens to be our teacher) and we picked up another less active last night, Julia.  Even though I know these are just our teachers, I have grown to love them, and it puts pressure on us to have our lesson just right.

I was really struggling on Sunday, and then I went to the testimony meeting.  The spirit was so strong, and even though the elders are dumb, they have such a crazy awesome spirit about them, and it lifted my spirits.  

Well, if I want to get pictures to you I need to go, but I love you and thank you for the letters!  Make good choices and know that Heavenly Father is there with you every step of the way!

Love,
Hermana Farish


No comments:

Post a Comment